Unless you are a mom or parent with a small child asking you questions while you are trying to going to the bathroom, the moment that you sit on the toilet can be used to bring you back to surroundings instead of playing candy crush.
Ladies, we have it easier. We have to sit to pee so we can take 30 seconds to do 5 deep inhales and exhales before we admit that we need to get off the toilet, wash our hands, and get back to work. Men, I'm not sure how meditating while aiming goes but you can join in while going number 2.
- Feel the seat beneath you.
- Sense the sounds and smells around you. Note that they are there and don't try to change them. (PRO TIP: don't do this while in a public bathroom that makes you want to throw up).
- Once you are aware of the surroundings note any thoughts that are in your brain and acknowledge that they are there.
- Choose how you feel about those thoughts.
- Attack the day, pull up your big person pants, and feel better because you had 10 seconds of mindfulness.
Benefits of Bathroom Meditation:
- Come up with creative content // The toilet is where I thought of this post.
- A lot of people came up with their business in the shower // What's better than saying you founded the next Google while shitting?
- Letting it go // Excreting the toxins from the body and the toxic thoughts from the mind is liberating.
- It's easy // No need to schedule in time to meditate. Nearly everyone has to use the bathroom daily.